Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Milani Rad Purple

   It's officially summer.  And trust me it's felt it around here.  But you know what that means right?  Time to break out the neons.  No time like summertime to have eye searingly bright nails.
   So to celebrate the beginning of summer I'm sharing with you a purple, what else really?, neon from Milani called Rad Purple.


   Now don't let the bottle fool you, that is not the color of the polish.  It's just a colored bottle.  The actual polish is more of a plummy red purple.  Like all neons, Rad Purple dries to a matte finish.  This can of course be changed with a top coat if you'd like.  I've left it matte for these photos.  
   Normally I don't show you guys my right hand, for a couple reasons.  One I'm right handed so application is usually not as pretty on that hand and because taking pictures with my left hand is just really awkward.  But oddly enough, my right hand turned out better than my left with this polish so I'm going to show you both.  Please ignore the peeling skin on my right hand and sad cuticles.  That hand gets a lot of abuse at work.
   The formula on Rad Purple was VERY thin and watery.  So when applying make sure you wipe the excess from the brush and stem or you will get flooded cuticles.  Because of the thinness of the formula, application can be a bit streaky if you use thin coats.  Which you will see on my left hand.  With thicker coats, which you will see on my right hand, the streaks are less noticeable.  Otherwise application was pretty smooth and the polish is fairly quick drying.

Direct Sun
Left Hand

Right Hand


Indoor
Left Hand

Right Hand

   The other big thing you will notice between my two hands is that my right hand is darker than my left.  However, I used 3 coats of Rad Purple on each with Beauty Secrets Base Coat.  But the thickness of the coats on my right hand made a difference in color as well as streaks.  If you want the lighter shade like my left hand but with fewer streaks and vnl, visible nail line, you might want to try layering Rad Purple over a white or nude cream base underneath.  This helps to brighten the polish over it and hide your actual nails at the same time.
   Despite the few issues, I really like Rad Purple.  I do think next time I will use it over a white base however.  But it is a fun color and a good way to welcome in summer.

Disclaimer: The product(s) in this post were provided to me by the company for consideration.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the shade, but for me I don't think it is a neon. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have the totally 080s, pink rocks, techno red, and awesome orange so far. i cant find rad purple. the ones i have are definitely neon. i think out of all of them the red is the least but its still nice. to make mines pop more i do a thin even white basecoat. its great for neon and other bright summer colors. i used to only do it to prevent staining but for the neons it would definetly improve the brightness

    ReplyDelete

 
polished & frosted title image brushes by Obsidian Dawn