Friday, December 30, 2011

OPI Muppets Part 1 - Not the Glitters

   This first half of the OPI Muppet Collection is what I'm calling Not the Glitters.  They aren't cremes, but are distinctly not part of the glitter half of this collection.  This half consists of shimmer, mini flake, glass fleck, and foil finishes.  For all polishes I used Beauty Secrets base coat and Diamond Dry top coat.  Unless otherwise stated, all swatches are 2 coats.  I think.  But I'll explain that later.  I apologize for the crappy out of focus-ness of some of these photos, the shine and sparkle were freaking out my camera and I didn't have time to re-do them.

Wocka Wocka!

   Wocka Wocka is a pink leaning red shimmer.  The shimmer itself might be pink.  I had no application issues with this one, but it does dry flat so you will need top coat to bring it to life.  I used 2 coats on my ring and index fingers, but only 1 on my pinkie, middle, and thumb.  The pigmentation is strong enough you could get away with 1 coat just fine, but I think 2 gives more depth.  Because of the strong pigmentation though, the polish will stain your skin and cuticles 

Direct Sun

Shade

Indoor



See the rest after the jump



Meep-Meep-Meep

   Meep-Meep-Meep is a deep/bright pink that's sort of a cross between a mini flake and a glass fleck.  Meep also dries flat.  I didn't have any staining issues during clean up, the staining you see is left over from Wocka Wocka, but like most glass fleck polishes, you will notice some flakes left on your skin.  I also found that Meep likes to eat your top coat.  In the time it took me to finish application and clean up and go outside to take pictures, the texture of the polish was already a little rough instead of smooth.

Direct Sun

Shade

Indoor



Animalistic

   Animalistic is another glass fleck, this time an orange-ish cherry.  There are small gold flecks in the bottle when you look close, but they don't translate to the nail.  The gold does however give the polish an almost citrus like look, at least to me.  I'm not sure what it is exactly about the polish, but when I look at it I'm reminded of a cherry lemonade or cherry lemon cough drop.  I wore this one over night to try to get better lighting, which I did, but when I took the polish off, my nail beds were stained pink.

Direct Sun

Shade

Indoor



Pepe's Purple Passion

   This polish is the biggest disappointment in the entire collection for me.  From this shot the polish just looks like a red plum creme.  But in person you see mini flakes and a gold flash.  More like this:


   Even that shot isn't a lovely as in person.  On the nail the base color just drowns out the flakes and what could be a beautiful polish.   The base color is nice, but it's just too pigmented to let the flakes shine.  Plus the polish dries flat and eats top coat.  I used 2 coats of top coat in these pictures because the polish IMMEDIATELY ate the 1st coat and left a weird lumpy texture. I used 2 coats on my pinkie and middle fingers, but only 1 on ring, index, and thumb.

Direct Sun

Shade

Indoor



Designer...De Better!

   Designer is a champagne foil/micro glitter with copper mini glitter pieces mixed in.  You will get some brush strokes but gives you a nice shiny foil finish even without top coat.  Clean up should be done immediately.  If you wait til you finish application more micro-glitter particles will be left on your skin.  As you can see in my pictures.  Luckily these particles usually come off when you wash your hands.  This polish is so shiny though, that my camera refused to really focus on it, but I hope you get the general idea anyway.  This one is MUCH lovelier in person though.

Direct Sun

Shade

Indoor



Warm & Fozzie

   Warm & Fozzie is my favorite polish from the entire Muppet collection.  It's a very warm brown micro glitter with gold and pink micro glitter mixed in as well.  The colors compliment each other and give nice depth to the polish.  Application is good, but like Designer you need to do clean up immediately.  Even though this is a micro glitter the finish almost looks like a foil.  This is the polish that brought on the I think in my opening paragraph.  Apparently I forgot to write down how many coats I used.  I'm pretty sure it was just 2 and not 3, but wanted to mention it in case you find you need 3.

Direct Sun

Shade

Indoor



   This half of the collection is mostly just ok.  The reds and pinks are nice, but nothing special.  Pepe's is a BIG disappointment to me.  There's so much potential in that polish that just doesn't come out.  I might play around with it and see if I can make it better.  Designer and Warm & Fozzie are the clear winners of this half for me and the two I most recommend picking up.

Disclaimer: The product(s) in this post were sent to me by the company for consideration.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really surprised at how much I like these colors! Normally I have a hard time liking colors that are any way related to red, but these are all really vibrant. Especially Wocka Wocka~

    ReplyDelete

 
polished & frosted title image brushes by Obsidian Dawn