Sunday, August 22, 2010

Shiny New Toys

   It's been a week of new toy syndrome for me.  Which is good since there has been rain and storms everyday this week.  Rain, and really overcast days in general, and I don't get along.  Whenever it's raining I just want to curl up in bed and sleep all day.  Plus when it rains for several days in a row I tend to start getting depressed.  So new toys helped combat that this week.
   Friday I dragged David over to Atlanta so we could go to IKEA.  That's the part that really required the dragging since he's a typical male in the hating shopping sense.  I don't know if any of you have ever been to IKEA but I love the store.  And the Swedish meatballs.  If you've never been, check it out if there's one nearby or at least the website.  You can get some great ideas on making the most of small spaces and pick up some great deals on household items.  I picked up some new plates in a pretty dusty blue, $15 for an 18 piece set.  And the set is all plates and bowls with no mugs like most sets.  If there's one thing I don't need more of, it's mugs.  I also grabbed a wok for $5, a couple of shelves and brackets for my office for $16 total, and my favorite find, a new mirror for my entryway.


See the rest after the break



   Pretty isn't it?  I think I mentioned that I ordered new glasses last week.  When I ordered them I was told it would be 7-10 business days before they were in. This was on Thursday the 12th.  Well imagine how surprised I was when I got a call this past Thursday, the 20th, that they were in already after only 5 business days.  I picked out two pair, one for everyday and one with just slightly tinted lenses for days I'm going in and out of shops a lot or spending long periods of time outside.  I found an added benefit to that pair today when I woke up with a horrible headache that just wouldn't go away.  I slipped them on at work, and since the tint is so light you can barely tell it's there I can get away with them, and my headache finally started easing off.  Please excuse my hair in the following pictures.  We've had 90+ % humidity lately with all the rain.  And curly hair + humidity = massive poof and frizz.  I just checked the current humidity level and it's 88% at 12:35 am.  Georgia summers are so not fun.

Clear everyday pair



Tinted outdoor pair



   The last new toy I got is a new digital camera.  Well, new to me.  It is a refurbished camera, but refurbished by the manufacturer so that's almost as good as new.  So what kind is it?  It is a 12 megapixel Kodak Easy Share CD82 in blue.  My old Canon Powershot was only a 4 MP so this one is a big upgrade for me.  Even my cell phone has a 5 MP camera.  

Front

Back


  Not sure why all the pics I took of the back view are slightly blurry, but I think you get the idea.  I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm hoping to get a chance to this week if the weather cooperates for some outdoor pics for a change.  I do have a slight problem already though.  The USB cable that came with the camera has two ceramic pieces so it won't actually fit into my computer.  I'm going to call customer service this week and see about getting a replacement since this is a manufacturing defect and the other end of the cable is a specialized size USB and not a standard mini or macro size.

Cable Included with Camera

Both Ends


   I'm hoping the new camera will improve my photos a bit, at least to my eye.  Well that's it for the new toys for now.  Have a great week everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Loving the new glasses! The camera is a good one, too. I have three cameras, and my Kodak Easyshare (very similar to yours), is my go-to camera for most things.

    IKEA is a wonderful... but I have to drive 8 hours to get to the closest one :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. *loves IKEA*

    And it's only a 10 minute drive from my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish IKEA was only a 10 minute drive for me. Though an hour and a half is definitely better than 8 hours.

    Good to know you really like your camera Gillian. This one was an impulse purchase since it was $45, including shipping, on Woot.com one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Ikea, I love their food. I also love putting their furniture together. We recently bought 6 bookcases, a closet unit, cabinets for the garage.

    ReplyDelete

 
polished & frosted title image brushes by Obsidian Dawn