Friday, October 22, 2010

MAC Mean & Green

   Last month MAC cosmetics launched a huge new line based on four Disney villains.  The line, called Venomous Villains, contains four collections each representing the colors of its villain.  MAC chose 3 classic villains, The Evil Queen from Snow White, Cruella De Vil from 101 Dalmatians, and Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty.  The fourth villain is one of the newest in the Disney catalog, Dr. Facilier from The Princess and The Frog. 
   Sleeping Beauty is one of my all time favorite movies, just slightly behind While You Where Sleeping, and Maleficent is one of my top villains.  I will always have a soft spot for Izma from Emperor's New Groove too.  And wouldn't she have led to some interesting color possibilities for a make-up collection?  Sorry for the sidetrack.  The Maleficent collection was the only one with nail polishes, it had to be a sign right?  There are 3 polishes total, but my budget only allowed for 1.  The three colors are Bad Fairy, Mean & Green, and Formidable!  All are foil finish with glitter or foil like particles for added shimmer and color.  I picked Mean & Green for a couple of reasons.  First, it was the color that appealed to me most.  And second, it is a dupe for Orly's Space Cadet polish from the Cosmic FX collection, which I missed out on in all of my local stores.  So while the MAC retails $3 higher than the Cosmic FX colors, once I'd factored shipping charges in it actually works out about the same.
   Mean & Green is a glittery foil multi-chrome color.  M&G shines pink, gold, green and a few other things depending on the lighting and the angle of your hand. 


   The formula was ok, but not the best I've ever used.  Because of the glitter/foil particles application was a bit patchy and was also very sheer.  I used 3 coats and still had bald spots in places on my nail.  Now the good thing is that because of how reflective the polish is, the bald spots are not very noticeable in the sun.  In the shade however they drove me crazy.  I would recommend layering this one on top of a dark base for better effect.
   M&G gave me fits trying to get decent pictures to share.  The best ones I finally wound up with came from my cell phone at the laundromat one day.  So they are all technically taken indoors, but the laundromat I use has a waiting area with tables and two walls of windows so you still get the natural light look for the most part.

Direct Sun

Indirect Sun

Shade

   This last photo was again from my cell phone, but in the car.  It is the only one I managed to get showing the greenish gold flash of the polish.


   Removal was typical of a glitter/foil polish.  But I did not have too much issue with glitter staying on my hand after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
polished & frosted title image brushes by Obsidian Dawn